DH’s Aunt is a very creative woman. She loves taking everything and pushing it to the next level. To this day, DH remembers Easter Day when he was 5 or 6. He comes out in front of their house, and there in the middle of the yard was the biggest Easter egg you have ever seen. His Aunt made it out of plaster of paris, and painted it. Then he cracked the gianormous egg and inside was candy, toys and lots and lots of goodies. When we found out we were pregnant, the first thing he did was call his aunt and tell her that she MUST make one of those eggs for her future niece. We both can’t wait for her to be 5 or 6 to receive this egg.
But before that, I have to say that she has put the pressure on me. Since I am pretty competitive, so the first Christmas I spent with DH’s family, and they pulled out their nicely wrapped presents with fancy bows and mix and match patchwork gift wrap, and I looked at my sad present with a self-adhesive bow. After that embarrassing Christmas, I said, NEVER again will be caught with sad-ass warping. As soon as we got back, I hit Target and Papyrus and Micheal’s and I cleaned them out of cloth bows, some random beads, bells, bows, you name it. I have now a 18 gallon Rubbermaid container full of tissues papers, and wrapping accessories.
And every other year, when we are there with DH’s family, I think, yes, I’ve got her this time. She pulls out the following gems.
I mean, how do you compete with that??? The gift has a freaking TREE on it! A TREE!! Sigh… But now I am hot on the trail of the design blogs to help me with this. And I am happy to announce, I have found a few gems.
- Homemade wrapping paper. I realize that in terms of creativity, I can’t win. So now, I’m going for the low blow… for the heartstrings. That’s right, I will use my daughter in this, after all she needs to start earning her keep. I will use most of the cutesy ideas provided, but for the piece de resistence will be O’s little hands (in Christmas colors of course) being hand printed throughout the paper.
- Christmas ornaments. Again. reaching, but it will be really cute to add one of these to the bow of the gift.
- New Wreath. Again O and I could to do this together…. Do I hear presents for grandmothers???? I think I do!
- Flowers. Again as an accent on the gifts. However, I don’t know how willing I am to use coffee filters. I mean, that would mean giving up coffee.
- 3D Valentine Projects. Could easily be adjusted for Christmas. How cute are all of these???
- Pink Pig. Totally random, and not Christmas related. But maybe you could make it a reindeer… Am I being creative here???
- Felt Flowers. Sorry no link. But I have a book that showed me how to do this, using raw wool. So each flower will be unique. If I do end up making these, I would definitely do a little tutorial picture slide show.
As you can see, I will be a busy, busy woman. I think this list is more manageable than the big crafty list. Less sowing on this one.