Adventures with Sick Baby

I started writing how this was O’s first cold, blah, blah, blah.  Only to realize that this is not her first cold.  And it just goes to show you that you do see things through Rose Colored Glasses when it comes to babies.  How could I forget the previous screams?  But I did.

Anyway, getting back to the current cold.  As you know, she loves her pacifier. The problem is that with her stuffy nose, she could only breathe through her mouth.  Therefore, the pacifier could not stay in the mouth.  Which in turn would wake her up screaming.

In an effort to clean her nasal passages, I used the suction thingy to take the shnot out.  Well, in case you have EVER tried doing this, trying to stick something into a screaming baby’s nose, is not a pleasant experience.  Her arms were flailing, her head kept turning, every time I would try to stick the suction tube in her nose, I would miss and get her cheek.  Finally I resorted to DH holding her arms, and I holding her head still. Finally got the shnot out, but in a panic, I ended pressing the bubble, which shot the snot out, and landed on her eye.  This lead to a scream you have never heard before.  I did manage to wipe it quickly.  Calmed her down.  I do think I scarred her for life with that.

Since she kept waking up every few hours or so, I brought her to sleep with me in bed.  This is the first time O has slept in the same bed with me.  It’s not pleasant.  I don’t know how other people do it to co-sleep becuase with her legs, arms, head jabbing me in the abdomen every hour or so, it’s not fun.  Regardless…. We managed, and I didn’t sleep.  And every few hours or so, no matter where I placed her in the bed, she would inevitably move in such a way as to bang her head in the wall.  Now, this is not a drywall wall, but rather a brick wall. So every few hours or so weather it was the stuffy nose or the bang on the head, she would wake up screaming.  However, like clockwork, no matter how little sleep she got the night before, we were up at 6:30 am.

As the next day progressed, she got crankier and crankier, which is to be expected.  At night it took us about 1-1/2 hours for her to fall asleep.  But at least she slept the whole night.  She still has the cough.


About RidgewoodMom

Thirtysomething mom of a baby girl. First and only baby, possibly. First baby amongst my close friends. These are the trials, frustrations and lessons I have learned in raising a single child in New York.
This entry was posted in Baby, Mommy Dearest and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s